Sunday, June 19, 2011

Short bio






Saida Fagala, ceramist

Born Saida Hagverdi, I grew up in my native city Baku the capital of Azerbaijan.

Daughter of a noted painter, and sister to a sculptor and a painter, my life and

formal education was always full of art.

In 1977 I graduated Baku State College of Arts named after Azimzadeh,

 and then graduated from Baku State University of Arts in 1983.

Soon after graduation I started working at Professional Creative Combinat,

Ceramic Division as a mass production designer from 1984 until 1996.

In 1989 I became a member of Union of Artists of USSR and participated in

many art shows, in Moscow, Baku, Hamburg, Germany, Istanbul, Turkey.

I  moved to the United States in 1998 and lived in New Jersey for two years.

In New Jersey I started my teaching career as an art instructor in after school

program" Art-4-All" .

Soon after moving to Houston in 2000 I started teaching  at City Artworks, and also became a member of the Texas Clay

Arts Association .My participation

as a member has provided valuable contacts with other clay artists in the region and

opportunities for my  works to be displayed in art shows in Houston, San Angelo, Irving, New York, Sag Harbor, Washington DC and other cities.



My career took a step forward in 2000 when a collection of my works was exhibited

in the Anya Tish Gallery in Houston, where different works have been displayed on an

ongoing basis. Since 2001 I joined the newly opened Houston Center for

 Contemporary Craft where a collection of my works was on exhibit in the Asher Gallery until 2007.

A five piece collection was featured in HCCC"s Craft Houston Show in 2004. and Craft Texas in

2007.

I had more shows throughout past years: Washington D.C, Chamber of Commerce

of Azerbaijan, Anya Tish Gallery, Russian Cultural Center, Winter street studios Gallery3,  Foelber Gallery, Watson Gallery and more.

In 2010 my collection of “Three women” awarded a first place at Hanson Gallery,

 at “Spotlight on Clay” art show

I am starting to teach art at Post Oak School this year and very excited to start my new jurney.

 You can see my works at www.azgallery.org  - Saida  Hagverdieva-Fagala,


No comments:

Post a Comment